Friday 2 March 2012

It's where you came from...

There's a song by the Kings of Leon called Radioactive.  The lines that get me are, "It's in the water...it's in the story, it's where you came from,"

Sometimes I disconnect myself from my past. I don't think it's a healthy thing to do - you are the sum of your experiences, and your genes. Your  past should be embraced, smiled over, come to terms with, or faced. But I can't help believe you shouldn't really ever forget it.

I disconnect, prosaically, because I am forgetful.
I think perhaps I'm so forgetful because when I left my old home behind, I left so many precious people behind, too. And not being rich, I perpetrated this crime where I split a family apart, and some of them will never see each other again, and some of them will never meet, and that, to me, is a little tragedy of family sized proportions.
See? It can be easier to forget.

Anyway, I was going through a rough time, feeling weak and lost and walked over when, one day, out of the blue, I heard this song. Maybe it could have been any song. The important thing is that it made me think of the place where I was born. And just like that, I reached back to my roots, remembered who I was, and where I came from. I felt the blood of the people who made me, and the backbones of the country I grew up in. I took those things, and I rebuilt myself, standing by the kitchen sink.

Funny the effect music can have on a person. It's in the story.


6 comments:

  1. It is very true. Music can have a strange effect one people.
    Music is my life and my life is music. It's funny how in nearly every song I listen too I can pin point events or relate myself to that song in one way or another.
    Glad you reconnected and remembered where your roots lie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Songs are like poetry that way. And they're full of stories... :0)

      Delete
  2. Must be that Texas rag weed, six months early. My eyes, watering too hard to type ... what a beautifully expressed sentiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful post and memories are indeed evoked by music, words of songs...

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  4. My personal 'moment of clarity' came after I heard a song called When I'm Back on My Feet Again by Michael Bolton (Hey - you can't choose your saviours can you?) Sometimes I play it just to remind me what I went through in the past.

    ReplyDelete